Made by mixing apples and yeast to produce alcohol and then fermented into acetic acid by bacteria, apple cider vinegar has been a mainstay in the culinary and medical industries for hundreds of years.
Containing water, minerals, vitamins and some other trace acids, people began practically drinking it before bed. But does this have any health benefit at all?
In some ways, apple cider vinegar provides health effects. Unfortunately, there is not enough research to prove that drinking it before bedtime is any different from drinking it at any other time of the day.
In any case, here are some possible good effects it can bring when taken before bedtime:
1. Helps Lower Blood Sugar – According to research, apple cider vinegar slows down the emptying of our stomachs, thus preventing blood sugar spikes. Since our bodies go on autopilot, consuming that drink before bedtime may benefit our blood sugar the most.
2. Potentially have antimicrobial properties – The claim that apple cider vinegar has antifungal and antibacterial properties is mainly due to acetic acid, which is its key ingredient.
3. The acidity of your stomach will be restored if you consume only 1 tablespoon ACV one hour before bedtime mixed with one glass of water.
4. Leg pain will also be eliminated as vinegar is high in potassium and lack of potassium is one of the causes of leg pain. Just take 2 tablespoons of vinegar before bedtime mixed with warm water. After a few nights, you will be relieved.
5. Digestion problems can be prevented by taking 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar along with some water and honey. It is best to do it half an hour before going to bed.
6. It also fights allergies. Take a glass of water mixed with one teaspoon of vinegar and drink it one hour before going to bed.
7. A recent study shows that obesity and sleep problems are related. So, drink a mixture of water and vinegar if you feel hungry before bed.
Unfortunately, drinking it before bed also has potential side effects as follows:
Damage tooth enamel – Like any vinegar, regularly drinking apple cider vinegar may damage tooth enamel, eroding it in the process. To prevent this, always rinse your mouth after consuming an acidic beverage.
It can affect your medicines – Because apple cider vinegar lowers your blood potassium level, it can affect medicines that do the same. These include diuretics and anti-diabetes medicines.
In conclusion, although apple cider vinegar offers many possible health benefits, there is not enough research to confirm that drinking it before bedtime has positive effects. However, this should not deter you from enjoying it or even consuming it any other time of the day.