Vitiligo is an autoimmune condition. These diseases happen when your immune system mistakenly attacks some part of your own body, resulting in irregular white spots on the skin.
Although vitiligo affects people of all races, this condition is particularly noticeable in people with darker skin.
People between the ages of 10 and 30 are particularly prone to this condition. In addition, about 30% of people affected by the skin begin to self-pigment naturally when exposed to the sun.
Causes of Vitiligo:
There are no specific causes for the development of vitiligo, but it is thought to be an autoimmune problem:
- Vitiligo occurs as a cause of stress or illness
- genetic inheritance
- people with endocrine disorders or connective tissue disorders. For example, thyroid disease, Addison’s disease, pernicious anemia, focal alopecia.
Some home remedies can help improve the appearance of the skin and delay the disease.
Natural vitiligo prevention
According to Vitiligo Support International, people with this genetic condition may lack healthy levels of certain nutrients. However, there is no evidence that consuming certain foods could improve or worsen your vitiligo.
Despite this lack of evidence, some people claim to have success with various treatments at home. Popular topical home remedies include:
- a mixture of turmeric and mustard oil
- Ginkgo Biloba paste
- a mixture of lemon and basil
Mustard oil and turmeric
One of the natural remedies for vitiligo that helps reduce light spots on the skin is the use of turmeric and mustard oil.
So, mix one cup of mustard oil with turmeric powder (5 tbsp). Stir thoroughly until smooth. Apply this ointment on the affected areas of the skin and leave for 15-20 minutes.
After 20 minutes, rinse and dry. Repeat this procedure at least 2 times a day for 15-20 days for a more effective result.
It has amazing properties to slow down various ailments. In addition, it helps to avoid the re-pigmentation of white patches on the skin with constant use.
Basil leaves are considered to be particularly effective in treating skin diseases with vitiligo.
Squeeze the juice of 6 lemons. Then add 2 tsp. of basil leaves and mix well. Apply this mixture on the affected skin and leave for 15 minutes.
– Namazi MR, et al. (2009). Vitiligo and diet: a theoretical molecular approach with practical implications. DOI:
– Vitiligo. (n.d.).
– Is vitiligo a medical condition? (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.aad.org/public/diseases/color-problems/vitiligo/is-vitiligo-a-medical-condition
– Grimes, P. E. (2013, January). The efficacy of afamelanotide and narrowband UV-B phototherapy for repigmentation of vitiligo. JAMA Dermatology 149(1), 68-73. Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23407924