Home / Healthy Living / Do You Have This Silent Killer In The House Too? A moment of inattention can poison you.

Do You Have This Silent Killer In The House Too? A moment of inattention can poison you.

Recovery from poisoning is often slow and excruciating and may have a consequence, depending on the severity of the poisoning and the time of gas exposure, and permanent brain damage.

A few days ago, a tragedy took place on a ship in an Italian coastal town, when an Italian citizen died of carbon monoxide poisoning and a boy and girl were also poisoned and life-threatening. Italian media reported that an autopsy showed the cause of poisoning was gas evaporated from a ventilation system from a ship

This tragedy is also an opportunity to remind us that no one is safe from carbon monoxide poisoning, although many think that this problem has remained in the past thanks to modern installations.

The vast majority of rural but also many urban households use wood stoves. The danger of carbon monoxide also threatens you from gas stoves, cars in garages, uncleaned chimneys, charcoal appliances, faulty ventilation systems… Because carbon monoxide has no color, smell or taste, it is called the Invisible Killer for a reason.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning

Because the symptoms are similar to the symptoms of the flu, only without fever, unfortunately, it often happens that people think they have the flu and do not respond. Sometimes even the doctors replace the following symptoms:

  • headache
  • irritability
  • confusion
  • unconsciousness
  • impaired judgment
  • bizarre behavior
  • short breath
  • shallow breathing
  • cessation of breathing
  • chest pain
  • nausea and vomiting
  • abnormal heartbeat
  • rapid heart rate
  • low blood pressure
  • hyperactivity
  • convulsions
  • coma
  • shock

What to do in case of poisoning?

On-site treatment: Take the person out in the air and ventilate the room. Call an ambulance immediately. If the person is not breathing, apply artificial respiration.

Otherwise, recovery from poisoning is often slow and excruciating, with a possible consequence, depending on the severity of the poisoning and the time of gas exposure, and permanent brain damage. If a person still has impaired mental capacity two weeks after the poisoning, it is unlikely that he or she will fully recover. Even if the person is in good health after the treatment, mental damage may occur in the first two weeks.

How to protect yourself from poisoning?

– Do not use gas appliances or gas heaters in your home.
– Do not use camping equipment (lamps, charcoal grills) in the home.
– Do not use gas appliances in basements, garages, or other enclosed areas, even if doors or windows are open – unless the equipment is professionally installed and ventilated.
– Do not open gas appliances outdoors if the exhaust gases can be ventilated indoors (under a balcony or window, for example).
– Do not leave the car engine running indoors or partially enclosed, such as a garage.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *